What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Changing the DLR / sidelight to LED - fitting pics pg 19

A

Anonymous

Foglights are not mandatory on a car, so they wont be on a MOT list of checks

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
Kinda...I believe I'm right in saying that "if fitted" they must be working. But working as in turn on/off, I doubt there's a test of the beam pattern or bulb type.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
They only test if the fog lights work. I wouldnt worry about it as Fog lights are only really for others to see you in the dark. They dont do much for visibility :)
Fog lights are mounted low to cut underneath fog and have a wider beam pattern to pick out kerbs better in poor visibility. So they do help a little BUT they don't throw light very far ahead otherwise they'd reflect too much off the fog and actually worsen forward visibility.

Being more visible to other road users is more of a by-product than a design feature :)

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
I have some of those in my fog lights. I only got them as they are white, but they arent very bright.

Where'd you get these fog light bulbs from and which ones are they Abz?

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
jassyo06 said:
Kinda...I believe I'm right in saying that "if fitted" they must be working. But working as in turn on/off, I doubt there's a test of the beam pattern or bulb type.

Cheers Yoda :thumbup: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe. What headlight bulbs do you have in ?

A

Anonymous

Ian68 said:
Abzynthe. What headlight bulbs do you have in ?

.....and fog lights! Don't care that they aren't bright, they look damn good and would do with me LED drl's!! My extreme visions can take the fog on!

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
dand87 said:
Abzynthe said:

With the fog lights - the ones you have are 7.5w but the ones on RCZ perf website are 35w and I've seen others at different wattage. Does it matter what Wattage bulb is used?

35W are the factory rating of the bulbs used for fog lights.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
I have no idea about watts, but that may be why they arent very bright then :)

That is my understanding too as I am no electrical engineer. The HID upgrades we sell are rated at 35W and are very bright. We are looking at some high power LED bulbs for the fog lights currently that might be a better solution for some. Still waiting for a direct replacement bulb with a better output.

A

Anonymous

RCZ-Performance said:
Abzynthe said:
I have no idea about watts, but that may be why they arent very bright then :)

That is my understanding too as I am no electrical engineer. The HID upgrades we sell are rated at 35W and are very bright. We are looking at some high power LED bulbs for the fog lights currently that might be a better solution for some. Still waiting for a direct replacement bulb with a better output.

This would make sense. The wattage determines the output (brightness) and the H8 tells you it would fit the car.

Thanks.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Looking on Wikipedia at the definition of Watts. It looks like its the power consumption rather than the brightness.

A typical household incandescent light bulb has a power rating of 25 to 100 watts; a similar amount of light would be produced by fluorescent lamps at 5 to 30 watts, or LED lamps at 5 to 20 watts.

The wattage value is the amount of power the bulb draws from the electricity supply, which is given by voltage x current, or Volts x Amps.
Some percentage of that power is converted into light, and the rest into heat. In an ordinary incandescent bulb, most of the power is dissipated as heat, and a smaller fraction as light. In a fluorescent or energy-saving bulb, a much greater proportion of the power consumed is converted to light. For this reason an energy-saving bulb has a lower power rating than an incandescent bulb with the same light output.

A

Anonymous

Yep, it's always a measure of power consumption, but different bulb types will produce different amounts of light for a given consumption of power. So an LED drawing 35w will be different in brightness from a halogen drawing 35w

A

Anonymous

A halogen bulb rated at 35 watts will give off....a certain amount of lumens/light output, A 7 watt led bulb will give out the exact same amount of lumens/light output whatever the led is rated at multiply this by 5 to compare with a halogen bulb.Thats why they are more efficient and burn light at lower tempretures... in centigrade...lol

Also halogen bulbs are rated about 3500k max......... led bulbs start at around 4300k upwards to 8000k, xenon bulbs start at 4300k and go up 12000k

K= Kelvins= colour tempreture, Sunlight ie light from the sun...lol is rated at 4300k so the higher you go the less natural the light will become and the lower the luminosty

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
A halogen bulb rated at 35 watts will give off....a certain amount of lumens/light output, A 7 watt led bulb will give out the exact same amount of lumens/light output whatever the led is rated at multiply this by 5 to compare with a halogen bulb.Thats why they are more efficient and burn light at lower tempretures... in centigrade...lol

Also halogen bulbs are rated about 3500k max......... led bulbs start at around 4300k upwards to 8000k, xenon bulbs start at 4300k and go up 12000k

K= Kelvins= colour tempreture, Sunlight ie light from the sun...lol is rated at 4300k so the higher you go the less natural the light will become and the lower the luminosty
Now who's Yoda? :D :idea: :cool:

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
jassyo06 said:

Now who's Yoda? :D :idea: :cool:

I am a Sparky after all stevey boy :thumbup: and take A great interest in lights ESPECIALLY led as its the way forward and especially "Luminosity".............. :lol: NOT